Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

The joy of sharing a homemade corn bread

This is one of those grey saturday mornings of slowness. My husband was busily working at his desk while I was getting the freezer organized. A bag of cornmeal reminded me of the homemade corn bread that my friend made. How sweetly delicious... Sometimes I'd lament over my body's intolerance to carbohydrates. But then, a thought crossed my mind. Though I cannot eat too much carbohydrates, how nice it would be to share it with those who can. This way, it won't rob me of the joy of cooking, and them of the pleasure of eating. So I took out my friend's recipe and quickly worked out a mixture for the corn bread. Shortly, our house started to be filled up with a romantically sweet smell of baking. Just when the corn bread came out of the oven, and I was preparing to deliver half to our neighbor, our postman arrived. So he got a fresh share of it, too. Here is my friend's recipe of the homemade corn bread, which I modified a little. How much I love my friend's excellent recipes! 


Recipe: Homemade corn bread (for 4-6)


Ingredients:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tablespoon (TB) sugar
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 TB butter
- 3 TB oil
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 egg


Procedure: 
Combine dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) and mix well. Cut butter into 1/4" pieces and mix in. Add milk, oil, and egg. Mix thoroughly. Pour into a 8x8 baking pan coated with Pam. Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes.



Life is so abundant when it is shared.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, glad you tried the cornbread. Looking at the photo, you could cut back on the baking time a few minutes to prevent dry corners and edges. Also, sprinkling a little sugar on top before baking (1T.) adds to the delight/ texture. I'm not sure regular milk and condensed milk can be used interchangeably in baking. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you spotted them. As an experiment, I decided to cut out of the sugar to lower the sweetness. I think the condensed milk may have made the bread heavier. It's still very nice. Unfortunately, it did not taste as nice after going into the fridge for a day. I'd need to find out how to handle leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops. Just spotted a mistake. I used evaporated milk, not condensed milk. Corrected the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This corn bread is so good, I made it again for Thanksgiving dinner. It was very well received! I also learnt that keeping corn bread at room temperature is the best way to sustain its freshness. For longer storage, freeze it in sealed bag. Bread tends to stale fastest at 4 degree C, so the last thing to do is to keep it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete