Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fresh turkey sausages

After my first experiment with fresh sausage, my new concern with it is that it's not fully done. So when I get my next pack of fresh sausages, I decide to let them cook for 2 hours. To minimize damage to casing, I let the sausages simmer in the first 30 minutes. Any expansion to the sausages happens during the first phase of cooking. After that, the sausages keep their shapes. The down side of such long cooking is that the flavor of the sausages is lost to the water.

When the sausages just start to simmer:

Sausages expand in the first 6 minutes:

Sausages start to shrink after prolonged cooking of 2 hours:

Sausages to cool:

After these past two experiments on fresh sausages, I have some ideas about them now. It looks like turkey meat may need less cooking than pork. 
Considering that fresh sausages are to be cooked by boiling, that may explain why they are so heavily seasoned to start off with. Much of the flavor could be lost to the liquid during the boiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment