Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fresh pork sausages

A friend of mine introduced me to bulk sausages. She used it in one of her excellent egg casserole recipes. So I went ahead to check out what they are. I bought home some fresh italian mild sausages. It's then that I found out that there are fresh raw sausages that have no additives and preservatives. They need to be cooked within a few days. My new challenge is then to find out how to cook them.

Cooking fresh raw sausages can be tricky because they are big and thick. The casing may burst or burn when cooked too fast. So the trick is to cook it at a low temperature until half done first, then use a second cooking method to add flavor to it. The casing should not be pierced during cooking.

Here is my first attempt. I poach the sausages in stock (some people suggest beer) for about an hour. Then I brush some marinate on the skins and use the toaster oven to broil them for a few minutes until the skins are lightly brown. As it turns out, the sausages are not yet fully cooked inside. It means that I'd need to poach them for a longer time. To make sure they are cooked, I cut the sausages into smaller pieces and microwave them for 1-2 minutes. Fat starts to come out when I do that. It's not a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment