Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cactus pear

Out of curiosity, I bought a cactus pear. All the time, I keep thinking that it's a species of pear that happens to look like cactus. When I come home to wash it to make a fruit salad with it, I start wondering how its waxy skin feels awfully like a cactus. After peeling off the skin, I can't resist taste-testing a slice of it. Oh! Though it's as sweet like any fruit can be, its sticky juice reminds me of cactus in every way. I end up with a mouthful of seeds that are hard as pebbles. I go online and check for cactus pear. True enough, it's the fruit of a cactus that happens to look like a pear, not the other way round! It's really a yummy surprise.

Skin of a cactus pear:

Head of a cactus pear:

Cross-section of a cactus pear:

Plenty of seeds in just a very very thin slice:


The next thing I'm going to do is to sow the seeds to grow some cactus at the kitchen's window sill.

1 comment: